St.Astvatzatzin. The interior looking towards the altar
It should also be noted that whereas the one hand the emphasis of the perspective of the naves focuses on the entrance to the church, the total opening towards the exterior extends the line of vision to infinity, creating a completely opposite effect.
The nearby church, dedicated to St. Amenaprkitch (the Redeemer) dates from 966. The building was started by Queen Khosrovanoush, with the help of her consort, Ashot III Bagratouni, known as the Merciful. Its plan is similar to the previous church, but is much larger and has two storey chapels in the four corners. Continual restorations have moreover altered the early appearance of the building. The first restoration dates from 1181 and was carried out by the abbot John. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20